Font Size:

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I pay?
Scioto Community’s healthcare is Medicare and Medicaid approved. In addition, we have contracted with a number of different insurance companies for your convenience. Before moving forward our Director of Admissions will check your insurance eligibility to make sure we can help you through the process.

Who do I call?
If you are coming from a hospital to do rehab with Scioto you will want to talk to our Director of Admissions, Derek (614) 491-2000 ext 447.
If you are interested in Assisted Living, or our Independant Living Villas you will want to contact Danielle at (614) 491-2000.

What should I bring with me upon Admission?

  • Drivers License or another form of picture ID.
  • Medicare, Medicaid or Insurance cards.
  • Social Security card.
  • Power of Attorney paperwork. Including health care and financial. Living will. Guardian paperwork if applicable.
  • Contact information for family members/guardians/friends.

Glossary of terms:

Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs)
Housing communities that provide different levels of care based on the needs of their residents -- from independent living apartments to skilled nursing in an affiliated nursing facility. Residents move from one setting to another based on their needs, but continue to remain a part of their CCRC's community. Typically CCRCs require a significant payment (called an endowment) prior to admission, then charge monthly fees above that.

Long-Term Care Facilities
A range of institutions that provide health care to people who are unable to manage independently in the community. Facilities may provide short-term rehabilitative services as well as chronic care management.

Assisted Living
Senior housing that provides individual apartments, which may or may not have a kitchenette. Facilities offer 24 hour on site staff, congregate dining, and activity programs. Limited nursing services may be provided for an additional fee.

Case Management
A system in which one individual helps the insured person and his or her family determine and coordinate necessary health care services and the best setting for those services.

Occupational Therapist
Occupational therapists evaluate, treat, and consult with individuals whose abilities to cope with the tasks of everyday living are threatened or impaired by physical illness or injury, psychosocial disability, or developmental deficits. Occupational therapists work in hospitals, rehabilitation agencies, long-term-care facilities, and other health-care organizations.

Physical Therapy
Services provided by specially trained and licensed physical therapists in order to relieve pain, restore maximum function, and prevent disability or injury.

Respite Care
Scheduled short-term nursing facility care provided on a temporary basis to an individual who needs this level of care but who is normally cared for in the community. The goal of scheduled short-term care is to provide relief for the caregivers while providing nursing facility care for the individual. Short-term stay beds used for respite care must be distinct from general nursing facility beds.

Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF)
Provides 24-hour nursing care for chronically-ill or short-term rehabilitative residents of all ages.

Speech Therapy
This type of service helps individuals overcome communication conditions such as aphasia, swallowing difficulties and voice disorders. Medicare may cover some of the costs of speech therapy after client meets certain requirements.